Judy Rowland

Judy Rowland
Ready to study with me?

Monday, November 15, 2010

Question #3 Nov. 15th, 2010

Sometimes we self-impose a disconnect. We assign a meaning to our unchangeable label that is far worse than the label itself. We assign a fate rather than faith to our fact.
For me, blind is my unchangeable label. But if I assign meaning to it that says: "You are different from everyone who is sighted." or "People think you are a burden." or "People feel sorry for you." then what I say to my soul becomes far worse than the label itself. The fate label I wear is worse than the fact. If I do that, I use my label as a foundation to speak lies.
Do you do that? Suppose your fact label is divorced. If you assign a fateful meaning such as rejected or unlovable, then you experience something for worse than the fact itself.

In a post write out a "fact" label, and then write a "fate" you or someone else may have assigned to your fact label.

Labels identify us far more than we can imagine. Do you feel your fate label is communicating to others as you interact with them? 
  • Yes
  • No
Explain why and how or why not?

2 comments:

  1. Continuing with the "Preachers Kid" label:
    Fact: Preachers Kid
    Fate: Expected to be perfect (which extends to spouses, children, etc)

    Yes it definitely can communicate to others....when they expect you to be a certain way, have preconceived notions of what/who you are. You feel that you may not always be able to just be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I will stick with the New Yorker thing.
    Fact: From New York/ North
    Fate: People assumed I was un-affectionate even before they knew me.

    Yes- People didn't bother to get affectionate with me because they knew I was from the North.

    ReplyDelete